How To Make Your Boobs Smaller
Whether you’re a DD or a C, you may have thought about what everyday life would be like with boobs that are just a bit smaller. If this sounds like you, we’ve got a guide for you. Read on to discover what affects your breast size and natural ways to reduce them.
What Affects Your Natural Breast Size?
There are many different factors that can affect the size of your breasts. A few of them include:
- Genetics. If your mom, sister, or grandma have larger breasts, chances are you do, too. This doesn’t mean that your breasts will be the exact size as your relatives, but genetics do play a factor in their size.
- Body fat percentage. Your weight and body mass index (BMI) can impact how large your breasts are, as breasts are at least partially made up of fat.
- Age. It’s likely that your breasts aren’t the same size now as they were in junior high. Hormonal changes as you get older can impact your breast size and shape.
- Medication. Certain medications like hormonal birth control can affect the size of your breasts.
Menstrual cycle. If you notice that your breasts are a little larger (and maybe a little tender) right before your period, don’t worry: It’s normal. Nearly a week before your period, your progesterone level peaks, which causes your milk glands to grow. This contributes to larger-looking breasts during your period.
- Breastfeeding. If you breastfeed after giving birth, chances are your breasts will stay on the larger side due to the large milk supply. Once you start weaning your child off of breastfeeding, your breasts will start to feel less full and begin to return to a size closer to what they were pre-pregnancy.
- Pregnancy. Pregnancy can greatly impact the size of your breasts, thanks to the increase of progesterone and milk development. More than likely, six to seven months into your pregnancy, you’ll notice your breasts have increased by several cup sizes.
- Workout routine. If you recently started lifting weights, you might see a difference in your breasts. Although your breasts didn’t actually get bigger, working your pectoral muscles can make your breasts appear perkier.
5 Natural Ways To Reduce Your Breast Size
If you want to reduce your breast size but don’t want to go the surgical route, we have you covered. Here are a few tips on how you can reduce your breast size naturally.
1. Live An Active Lifestyle
By incorporating a healthy diet and exercise into your lifestyle, not only can impact the size of your breasts, but it can immensely improve your overall well-being. This doesn’t mean you need to train for a marathon or only eat salad, but making better choices may shed some pounds that come off your boobs. Simple activities such as going for a daily walk, hitting the gym a few times a week, or making meals at home are great first steps to take.
2. Consider Strength Training
If you want to see some breast reduction all while getting a little perk, strength training is the way to go. Not only will strength training add some muscle, but it can also tone up your body and burn fat.
To target your pectoral muscles, some exercises to try include the bench press, chest flies, and shoulder press. These are compound movements that will add muscle beneath your breasts to give them a perkier appearance. And if you have any questions, talk to a personal trainer who can give you some pointers to help you reach your goals.
3. Try Swimming
Swimming is an effective workout for you to try if lifting weights isn’t your thing. Swimming not only is an excellent cardiovascular exercise to get your heart rate pumping, but it also works your pectoral muscles and tones up your upper body, which can alter your breasts’ appearance. The breaststroke and butterfly stroke in particular really work your pectoral muscles, which could also give you a little lift and shape your breasts.
4. Incorporate Push-Ups Into Your Daily Routine
A quick workout that you can do right on your living room floor is push-ups. They’re great for toning up arms and your chest, giving you a full, lifted appearance - all without going to the gym. To make it more fun, give yourself a challenge each week to complete a certain amount. Start at 10 a day, and slowly work your way up as time progresses. Within a matter of months, you’ll see a difference in upper body definition.
5. Consider Switching To Non-Hormonal Birth Control
If you’re exploring birth control options, you might want to weigh your options between hormonal and non-hormonal varieties. While both types are effective at preventing pregnancy, they can produce different side effects. When you take hormonal birth control, you’re essentially adding more hormones to your body, which can affect your weight and breast size. While this usually only occurs within the first few months of use, this is something to look out for. If you’re interested in beginning a non-hormonal option, speak with your doctor first to see which form they recommend for you.
Items To Wear That Make Your Boobs Smaller
If lifestyle changes won’t do the trick, you may want to consider undergarments that can help reduce the appearance of your breasts. Here are the best four items to wear under your clothes that’ll make your breasts appear smaller.
Wear A Minimizer Bra
A minimizer bra is exactly how it sounds – a bra designed to gently compress your breasts and reduce their appearance. These types of bras are a good option if you want to wear a specific top that needs a bit more room in the chest, or if you want to appear a little flatter in a certain outfit.
Try A Sports Bra
Although sports bras were originally designed to keep the girls in place during a vigorous workout, these bras are also great at making your breasts look smaller. They provide plenty of support while offering some compression, which helps reduce their appearance. Wear a sports bra outside the gym, but notafter your workout - never wear a sweaty bra longer than you have to!
Shapers are an excellent tool for smoothing your overall appearance. They come in a variety of shapes, colors, and styles, including designs that look like tank tops that cover your waist, boobs, and back in one piece.
Buy A Quality Binder
While shapers, minimizer bras, and sports bras all provide a degree of “shrinking,” they won’t flatten you in a way a binder can. Binders, often worn by trans and gender nonconfirming (GNC) folks, are designed to safely constrict your boobs and flatten their appearance more than a minimizer can. The key here is safe: Certain materials not meant for the job, like bandages, can cause breathing problems or even bruise you if worn extensively or incorrectly.
Opt For A Bralette
While a bralette isn’t the best option when it comes to support, and it’s not precisely a garment that flattens you out, it won’tadd to your boobs. Since they aren’t heavily padded or molded, by default, a bralette won’t make you appear any larger. Plus, they’re cute, comfortable, and not to mention breathable, perfect for those warmer summer months.
Outfit Ideas To Make Your Breasts Look Smaller
If you’d rather just dress to impress (and shrink your boobs), the right outfit can help balance out your appearance and give you the look you want. Here are our dos and don’ts for dressing to shrink your boobs.
What To Wear To Shrink Your Boobs
- Wear clothing that fits right. Clothing that fits is key to a balanced appearance. Tight-fitted clothing will just accentuate your chest. Instead, opt for clothing that fits you right, but doesn’t add extra attention to your chest.
- Wear terry cloth, cashmere, or cotton. When shopping for tops, make these three materials your go-to. They’re breathable, lightweight, and hold a good stretch, making them perfect for accommodating a larger chest without accentuating them.
- Wear dark tops. In order to put viewers' attention elsewhere, flip the script on your colors, and wear dark tops and lighter bottoms. This helps draw peoples’ eyes away from your boobs and highlights other areas of your body.
- Accentuate your hips with patterns. Color isn’t the only thing that draws attention away from your boobs. Patterned pants can accentuate your lower half, balancing out your look.
- Wear v-necks. You’d be surprised to learn that wearing a v-neck doesn’t draw more attention to your breasts, but rather your collarbone. These tops can make your breasts looksmaller.
- Wear jackets and cardigans. Not only are jackets warm, cozy, and can cover you up when you want, but they’re also great for drawing attention away from your breasts. Cardigans and jackets are designed to create a visual line that draws attention away from your breasts.
- Get properly fitted. If your breasts have never been measured by a professional, now is the time. Wearing the wrong size bra is not only extremely uncomfortable, but it also can make your breasts appear larger, as your bra cuts into them. Additionally, the right size bra can help with posture, and proper posture can help them look smaller.
What To Avoid If You Want To Reduce Your Breasts’ Appearance
- Avoid satin, velvet, and chunky knits. These materials all do a great job accentuating your breasts – not what you want if you’re reading this guide. Instead of opting for these materials, choose something a little more lightweight, breathable and stretchy, such as cashmere or cotton.
- Avoid cowl necks. Any shirt that accentuates your chest area makes your breasts appear larger.
- Avoid ruffles and frilly tops. Any accentuation simply makes your boobs look bigger, drawing eyes upward while adding volumes of material. If you’re looking for a fun top to wear, opt for a fitted blouse or dark patterned top.
- Avoid sequins. Not only can sequins be itchy, they really aren’t doing any good for your breasts other than highlighting them.
- Avoid long necklaces. Long necklaces tend to bend with the way your body curves, so if you’re a DD, it’s likely your long necklace will pour off like a waterfall, rather than lay elegantly against your body. Instead, opt for a fitted shorter necklace that hits closer to your collarbone.
- Avoid tight button-up blouses. A shirt that buttons in the frontis nearly impossible to wear if you have bigger breasts. Not only will there be gaps between each button if you have larger breasts, but they also can be quite uncomfortable.
How Should I Sleep To Reduce My Breast Size?
Does this old wives’ tale have any scientific merit? Some experts may claim that sleeping on your back can keep your boobs from “flattening” or changing shape over time, as stomach or side sleeping may cause some changes to their shape and size over prolonged periods.
However, it’s not exactly a final statement on the matter. If you want to reduce your breast size naturally, you’re better off focusing on toning muscles, living a healthy lifestyle, and dressing to fit the part.
AnaOno: The Perfect Fit
If you’re in need of a new bra or hate to admit that you’ve been wearing the wrong one for years (we’ve been there), the good news is that AnaOno has you covered. Each bra is made with a softer-than-cotton modal fabric and doesn’t include the uncomfortable pokey underwire. The molded cups won’t add to your bustline while supporting your boobs precisely as they are. And if youdo opt for breast reduction surgery, our line of post surgery bras provide the support you need as you recover.